To put it bluntly, the personal development journey is not easy nor is it quick. It is called DEVELOPMENT for a reason! You probably won’t see results immediately and you will probably become discouraged because of this. Also, you will probably want to give up and you might, but that is why you need to establish habits, routines, and ultimately ensure that you hold yourself accountable. If you are still reading this, I know YOU want to make a change in your life and all you need is a little help to make sure that you accomplish what you want! In this post, I will be talking about the problem and how you can tackle this issue.
Rise of instant gratification is halting you
With the rise of technology, everything is becoming easier. Because of this, we want things sooner, faster, stronger, and better with just the simple snap of the fingers. Unfortunately, this is lowering our dexterity and patience. We rather try and get things quickly. It is why lottery tickets are so popular. People think that they can get rich quick by just purchasing a $1 scratch ticket that will win them 1 million dollars. Also, everyone knows how impossible it is to win the lottery. Doing things quickly and expecting amazing results is just a recipe for disappointment.
To be completely frank, you probably will not see a major impact on your life for months to years. It is similar to when you invest your money. You will not see any major changes the next day, but you will see a massive change in the next 10 years. Also, let us picture a 16 year old and a 17 year old. How much of a difference is there between the two? The answer is almost next to nothing. However, let us compare a 16 year old and a 21 year old, the mentality and way of thought is significantly different. The journey of personal development is going to be long and it will be sometimes hard to see the results. This is why reflections are so important to see where you are in your journey.
How to ensure that you keep on the path of personal development
Even though personal development is going to be a hard journey, it is not impossible. The following are 6 ways that you can help make sure that you keep going!
- Set yourself reasonable monthly goals. Every month you should have a goal to make sure that you stay on track with what you want to accomplish. When doing this, BE REASONABLE! Do not push for a ridiculous goal that you know you cannot complete. It is better to do several smaller tasks and feel better about yourself. It helps ensure that you keep going. Some of your goals could be that you read 1 personal development book, listen to 1 episode of a podcast a week, or whatever is best for you.
- Set up morning and night time routines. I talked about this in an earlier blog post, which can be found here. For the gist of it, you want to set up a morning and night time routine to make sure you start and end your day right.
- Maintain your schedule. Again, I have written about this in a longer blog post before, which can read here. Ultimately, you want to maintain your schedule to make sure that you accomplish your tasks for the day. This helps so that you can visually see what you are accomplishing and how you are spending your time.
- Develop good positive habits. This sounds easier said than done, but it can be super easy. A habit is something you do on reflex and instinct, you do not have to think about it. It could be that whenever you are feeling stressed, you instantly do a breathing technique to calm yourself down. Or when you go to the bathroom, you bring a personal development book in, so you can read a few pages. Or you can set a time once a week to reflect on your accomplishments, stumbles, obstacles, things you can learn from, what you want to work on, etc.
- Make sure you check your influences. Your influences are extremely important. There are two major sources of influences: who you surround yourself with and what you consume. For the who, you can have toxic friends that ruin your mentality, who you need to stay away from. I talk more about this in this article. For the what, your TV shows and/or news articles affect your emotions, which is why you need to choose what you consume. This is another subject that I talk about in this article.
- Find an accountability partner. This can be super impactful for you! If you have someone to personally develop with you or a mentor, then you can check in on each other once a week or once every two weeks or whenever you want (it could be every day if you want!) When you are accountable to someone else as well, you mentally force yourself to do it, because you do not want to let down the other individual.
Keep going! You can do it
Even though it will be difficult and our mindsets are becoming less patient, you can do it and keep going. There are so many ways to make sure that you keep going, so follow them and use them. Keep reading the good books, listening to the challenging podcasts, follow the great habits! Over time you will see the improvements and will look back to see how much you have grown.